Monday, November 9, 2009

Waiting for the chimney sweep

Yes, they do still exist.  :-)  When we moved into our house three years ago, I was delighted that we had a fireplace.  I prefer a gas fireplace, but wood burning was okay.  I had visions of cozy fires and heat radiating through the room as the family gathered to watch a movie together or play a board game....

The first winter I started a fire, and calmly watched smoke fill the room.  The flue was open, the wood was seasoned...what was the problem??  I opened the windows, got out the smoke, and promptly put furniture in front of the fireplace and vowed never to use it again.

Well, the kids are growing up, and as they become more independent and have fewer weekend nights home with mom, nostalgia moved me to call a chimney sweep to check out the fireplace in hopes of using it this winter.

So I am waiting for him to show up so I can try to live my dream of the family gathered around the fire cozily watching a movie or playing a game, or enjoying time together.  If I can get them to stay home with mom.....

No comments: