Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Biscuits all the way, baby!

So, I joined a gym.  Again.  K and I can't join the YMCA as a "family" even though we are in the same household.  Now, before you cry "foul", you need to know that you can't join the YMCA (at least here in Southeastern Virginia) as a family if you are a man and a woman who live together but are not married.  So they do not discriminate on the basis of same genderness, but on the basis of unmarriedness.  So, we joined a local gym.

My boys want to start working out.  They want to lift weights.  They want to be macho.  They want a "6 pack."  They are 14, 12 and 10.  The only 6 pack they need at their ages is a 6 pack of juicy juice. But they say "mooooom, we want to have big muscles."  I assume it is for the benefit of the middle and high school girls they believe will fall over and swoon in their 6 pack presence.

I am perpetually chubby.  Have been for decades.  I am sure I will continue to be.  However, to me there is a difference between being chubby and healthy and being chubby, and well, just chubby.  So to that end, I try to work out, but something always gets in the way.  Work, kids, dinner, life.  Well, now my checkbook is holding me accountable.  I pay, and I don't want to waste my money, so off to the gym I will go.

Tonight was the first night we went, (we just joined on Friday evening), and with Scouts on Monday and Tuesday, today was the day.  Knowing this morning that we were going to the gym, and I had to work this afternoon, I put some chicken in the crockpot with low sodium, chicken pot pie soup, and a can of fat free cream of chicken soup.  Veggies rounded out the meal.

So to the gym we went.  I did 30 minutes on a cardio machine and 20 minutes on weights.  the 14 year old and 12 year old worked with a trainer so they could be taught how much weight is appropriate for their age and physical maturity level.  The 10 year old played with legos.  We worked out, we sweated, we learned, we conquered.

On the way home, I asked the 12 year old if he wanted pasta (which is low fat, multigrain and healthy) with the crock pot chicken, or should we stop at the local grocery store and  get some biscuits.

His answer was "Biscuits all the way, baby."  Now that is a kid after my own heart.  :-)

No comments: