Sunday, November 8, 2009

It all begins with the children.

I was hoping that when I sat down to write tonight that a blog would just pour out of me...unfortunately that was not to be.  I sat and sat, and mulled and mulled.  My mind kept going back to the Children's Worship I did at church today, and how meaningful it was to me and many others.

I have been a member of many different faith groups throughout my life.  Jewish (by birth), Church of Christ (by marriage), and now I am a member of a Unitarian Universalist church (by choice).  I hold strong to my Jewish heritage, and usually refer to myself as a "Jewnitarian".

Today in church we had a service to honor Veterans.  This in and of itself it not so unusual, although many Unitarians are strong pacifists, the church I belong to has a great many military personnel who are members.  We have members who are on Active Duty, Reservists, Veterans and Retirees.  They cover all the branches.  We have storekeepers, CB's, doctors, musicians, lawyers, mechanics, and many others.  We live in Southeastern Virginia which has a strong military presence.

So today I was the one doing a 10 minute childrens worship prior to the kids going off to classes.  I wanted to point out to them how our military personnel help children all over the world and that as soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines we take our Unitarian Principles with us as we deploy and use them for the betterment of mankind whenever we are able.

I read to them our 1st, 2nd and 6th Unitarian Universalist principles, which are:
1. The inherent dignity and worth of every person.
2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.
6. The goal of world community with peace, justice, and liberty for all.

I told them that kids in other countries do the same things they do....drink water...eat dinner....go to the doctor....go to school....have stories read to them....eat candy...and enjoy hanging out with friends and loved ones.  Then I showed them some of these pictures:

iraqi_medical_check_up.jpg


afghan_books.jpg


araqi_mother_baby_bottled_w.jpg



afghan_stories_linguist.jpg



iraqi_child_father_hospital.jpg

So they could see military personnel doing things with children around the world just like the things they do here. 

It is important to remember all of the WONDERFUL things our troops do while deployed.  That is a story not often told.  Carnage is easy to write about and focus on.  The quiet determination of our troops to do their jobs AND make the world a better place is seen less often.


When you see a vet please say "Thank you" for doing their part to make the world a better place.  Thank them for their service to our country.  And tell your children about the great things they do.  Share photos like this with your children.


It all begins with the children..... 

No comments: